Re: [linux-audio-user] Recording Level using Audacity and a Multiface card

From: Sampo Savolainen <v2@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri May 12 2006 - 19:57:56 EEST

On Fri, 2006-05-12 at 21:27 +1000, D. Sen wrote:
> Just wondering if I am doing things right. Trying to record a 94 dB SPL
> sinusoid using a B&K microphone connected into the analogue input of an
> RME multiface card, I see levels at about -37 dB. This is when the
> hdspmixer is set such the recording level is the most sensitive.
>
> Is this about right? This means that I can potentially record very high
> levels but I am worried about missing out the lower levels.

So you don't have a microphone preamp? The line inputs of your multiface
are meant for line level inputs. A microphone produces very low output
compared to line level, that is why microphone pre-amplifiers are used.

If you don't have one, you need one. Trust me. :)

--
Sampo Savolainen <v2@email-addr-hidden>