[linux-audio-user] Denormal problems with some LADSPA plugins

From: Q <qb@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri May 12 2006 - 22:13:18 EEST

Hi everyone

I'm having denormal problems with some LADSPA plugins, mainly the Triple
Band Parametric with Shelves, Plate Reverb and Glame High Pass filter
(which I started to use to replace that function in the Parametric).
They are really useful plugins but after a short space of time an
instance of one of them will start racking up thousands of Xruns and
processor usage climbs inexorably towards 100%.

I occasionally had problems before but it seems a lot worse since I
moved to DeMuDi 1.3 and the later version of Ardour that ships with it,
but it's probably just a case of selective memory.

Sampo suggested on the Ardour forum that I should try compiling the SWH
plugins using SSE instructions -- thanks for that. I got the latest tar
of the plugs and compiled them using those instructions but
unfortunately it hasn't cured the problem. Probably I did something
wrong -- I can't say I fully understood the options in the Readme.

Has anyone any advice on how to cure this problem, or any ideas where I
might have gone wrong compiling with SSE instructions? Preferably in
words of one syllable or fewer ;-)

I'm using a Pentium 4 if that makes any difference to anything.

Thanks in advance,

qb