Re: [linux-audio-user] Recording Level using Audacity and a Multiface card

From: D. Sen <dsen@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri May 12 2006 - 23:42:42 EEST

Ok, so the gain option quoted by the device isnt the gain quoted by the
conventional pre-amps. However, you are assuming a lot here. In essence,
you are assuming that just because you dont see "60 dB gain", the device
is not amplifying the signal to line-level when in-fact, even at x1
gain, the device is producing line-level and the extra 20 dB gain using
the x10 setting is beyond what is required for line-level inputs.

The gain does not tell you anything about the voltage at the output. The
  pre-amp from RME quotes an output of 21 dBu max. This converts to
about 24 V p-p. The device I am using produces an output of 10 V p-p.
This is a difference of slightly above 6 dB.

If at the end, the gain was the root of the problem, I would surely see
the same kind of low level recording on other digital recorders (namely
a FOSTEX and a SONY line-level input recorders), and I dont.