Re: [linux-audio-user] Recording Level using Audacity and a Multiface card

From: Fernando Lopez-Lezcano <nando@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat May 13 2006 - 01:16:22 EEST

On Fri, 2006-05-12 at 23:53 +0300, Sampo Savolainen wrote:
> On Sat, 2006-05-13 at 06:42 +1000, D. Sen wrote:
> > Ok, so the gain option quoted by the device isnt the gain quoted by the
> > conventional pre-amps. However, you are assuming a lot here. In essence,
> > you are assuming that just because you dont see "60 dB gain", the device
> > is not amplifying the signal to line-level when in-fact, even at x1
> > gain, the device is producing line-level and the extra 20 dB gain using
> > the x10 setting is beyond what is required for line-level inputs.
>
> We are just flabbergasted by the gear you are using. What sort of mics
> are you using? what do you record with the gear?
>
> Most of us use dynamic & condenser microphones which use XLR cables, the
> XLR->XLR cables are plugged into our 10-60dB preamps which are normally
> connected via XLR->plug or plug->plug cords to the soundcard. I for once
> have never seen a microphone use a BNC connector, and even less heard of
> anyone using a "POSITRON Conditioner" as a microphone preamplifier.
>
> The multiface has a switchable input gain via a switch internal in the
> box. Maybe your box is set to the lower gain instead of the higher +4dB
> (so called consumer-grade) gain?

Hmmm, I think it is the other way around, it should be set to -10dBv for
more sensitivity - the +4dB will be less sensitive, right? It is meant
to interface with "pro" equipment which will send hotter balanced
signals AFAIK.

That may fall short because he is getting a -37dB signal at full sound
pressure level, that switch may get that up to -23dB or so, still low I
guess (but better than no change).

-- Fernando