Re: [linux-audio-user] Hard disk choice and partitioning

From: Thomas Ilnseher <illth@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat May 13 2006 - 03:07:28 EEST

Link Swanson wrote:
> If y'all were gonna set up a brand new Linux DAW (with WinXP on there
> too), what hard disk choices would you make concerning interface,
> partitioning, and filesystems? Specifically:
>
> 1. How many hard disks?
>
> 2. IDE or SATA?

this is the only question thats somewhat easy to answer:

if your mobo has builtin sata ports:
it's much better to get sata disks. not that this would give you any
performance
benefits, but i think the ide-bus will die soon, and sata hdd's are
nowerdays
priced approx. the same as their corresponding ide counterparts.

if you need to get a pci controller:

it might have a performance hit to use a pci sata controller, especially
w/ some via and nvidia chipsets. peak bandwith of 32bit / 33MHz bus
is 133MB/s, thats exact the same as with UDMA133. but some chipset offer
even less performance on the pci bus. in this case ide hdds would be worth
consdering.

> 3. Partition order and size?
>
> 4. Filesystem type?

if you ask 100 linux user, 50 will say they use the default fs of their
distro,
the other 50 will argue which of the fs's is the best...
> I'm not too concerned about price: I want the best setup for a DAW that
> will run PlanetCCRMA, 64Studio, and WinXP.

there might arise a few other questions, like:
how much disk size do you need ?

is performance/reliabilty/noise level of interest ?
if yes, what is the most important ?