Re: [linux-audio-user] Midi and computer freezing

From: chris beagles <christhemonkey@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun May 14 2006 - 11:23:00 EEST

On 5/13/06, Lee Revell <rlrevell@email-addr-hidden-job.com> wrote:
> On Sat, 2006-05-13 at 22:14 +0100, chris beagles wrote:
> > > >

> > > Try 2.6.17-rc4 (unpatched)
> > >

> > Ok trying that one now.
> > Do i just apply the release candidate patch to the vanilla 2.6.16?
> >

> Yes.
>
> > Never was any good at this whole kernel compiling thing, cheers for
> > your patience guys! (and gals)

Ok, last night, i was waiting for the rc4 to download
and so decided to try again to patch and compile a kernel using 2.6.16
and ingos patch.
Left it going overnight, and this morning i have my own working
realtime preemptible kernel!

It installs, boots and works (nearly) fine.

But...

It still hard locks when i try and connect my midi port to anything
with qjackctl.
(and also wont let me log in, goes straight back to gdm, but i can
live with that)

So back to the original problem.

I am unsure what to try next.

Maybe, as i have two soundcards. one builtin and the cmedia one, and
they each hav a gameport/midi connection on them, maybe they are
providing conflicting irqs or something?

As i said i am unsure and a little out of my depth.

> I think you are on to something, there was an identical unresolved
> report just a week ago. It's definitely a kernel/ALSA bug, we need to
> confirm it's present in the latest version now

Anyone else getting this?