RE: [linux-audio-user] Alsa Midi patchbay/processor

From: Ivica Ico Bukvic <ico.bukvic@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun May 14 2006 - 19:06:55 EEST

> I've asked for this type of utility a few times before. Qmidiroute and
> midirgui do some of what I've asked for but no stand-alone app does what
> the Yamaha MEP4 did, i.e., rechannelize, convert from one controller
> type to another, value scaling, event filtering, etc. It seems like
> these functions should be rather easy to add to an app like midirgui. I
> think most of the math is simple integer stuff.
>
> Yes, Pd can do all this, but you have to have Pd on your machine. I love
> Pd, but unless it can generate a stand-alone application (that doesn't
> require Pd) then it isn't really meeting the need.
>
> It's a shame Matthias stopped writing his MIDI utilities. I've tried to
> reach "holborn" (aka the author of midirgui) but had no success.
>
> A software clone of the MEP4 clone would be a very sweet MIDI utility.
> Perhaps a bounty would convince a developer to spend an afternoon
> writing such a tool ?

Hey Dave,

Although RTMix has not been updated for a while, you can do this in 3 lines
of script and do so not only for MIDI->MIDI, but also for any combinations
of MIDI, OSC, generic network protocol and computer keyboard events. You can
also involve any type of MIDI/OSC/network-capable controller, keyboard keys,
and/or 6 different types of random number generation to alter parameters of
a particular data conversion.

Actually, come to think of it, you might be able to do some of what you are
trying to do in 1 line...*

*Obligatory handicap: the only real nuisance with RTMix is that it's still
using the old /dev/midi junk, but you can alleviate that easily with the
virmidi module.

If interested, see tutorials for more info, and if that fails, please do not
hesitate to bug me ;-)

Ico