Re: [linux-audio-user] Re: OT: need a mixer

From: fons adriaensen <fons.adriaensen@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue May 16 2006 - 22:25:23 EEST

On Tue, May 16, 2006 at 08:49:41PM +0200, Carlo Capocasa wrote:

> I consider mixers obsolete in the studio.
>
> I recommend you simply hook up your sound interface's outputs to active
> studio monitors and control which tracks are to be recorded and played
> with ardour's per-track 'mute' and 'rec' buttons.

In principle this is of course correct. But:

- if you do all mixing in Ardour you need a sound card
  with lots of inputs,
- if you need to provide (headphone) monitoring for the
  musicians you also need multiple outputs,
- ardour is not very well equipped to make monitor mixes
  (as each send fader is in a separate window),
- there is some additional latency.

So for a setup with just a 2-ch soundcard an external mixer
is no luxury. But then you could of course consider spending
the money for the mixer on a multichannel interface...

In my case, I do have 8 in/outs on the computer, and a mixer
fully equipped for 8-track recording, and I wouldn't want to
work without it. Being able to do monitor mixes independent
of the work on the computer is very handy. It's also very
practical just for connecting and routing everything.

--
FA
Follie! Follie! Delirio vano e' questo!