Re: [linux-audio-user] OT: need a mixer

From: Brett McCoy <idragosani@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue May 16 2006 - 22:05:54 EEST

Josh Lawrence wrote:

> A little off-topic here, but I need a mixer. I've got Ardour working
> great now, and I'm ready to do some recording, possibly some live
> recording of my trio. Here's my problem: I need a mixer that will
> let me listen to the current mix, and only send what I want to record
> to my inputs. My Mackie 1202-VLZ did this via "Alt Outs." I could
> press a button on a channel, and only that channel went to the alt
> outputs, meaning I could listen to the whole mix on my mixer and only
> record what I wanted to.
>
> So the obvious answer here is "buy another Mackie," but they are a
> little pricey. If I can get out cheap, or maybe buy a higher quality
> mixer used, I would do that. I've looked into Behringer mixers, but
> they don't seem to be able to do the alt output trick. Also, there
> are a lot of digital mixers on eBay (EZ-Bus, Tascam, Roland, Yamaha
> 01-V) that look good and only cost around $300 or less.
>
> Any opinions? What are you guys using in your home studios?

I use Ardour and a Delta1010 (with some outboard DSP gear and mike
pre-amps). With the Delta1010 and a pair of monitors and a headphone
amp, I find an outboard mixer superfluous. What are you using for your
audio interface?

-- Brett

--
Brett McCoy: Programmer by Day, Guitarist by Night
http://www.alhazred.com