Re: [linux-audio-user] Re: Firewire sound - which HW?

From: jan <jan@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu May 18 2006 - 08:40:45 EEST

Loki Davison wrote:
> On 5/17/06, jan <jan@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
>
>> I'm looking to buy some sound recording equipment for my computer, but
>> what should I get? The shop I went to recommended Motu Ultralite, Motu
>> 828 MKII, Edirol FA101 or Focusrite Sapphire, all of which look fairly
>> nice. But how about support for them in Linux?
>>

> is this a laptop? why this strange new obsession with firewire
> everyone has.... pci cards arn't worse. Quite the other way actually.
>
> Loki

No, not a laptop. Firewire has been recommended to me by several people
who ought to know about these things (musicians); the main reason being
that while a pCI card may have all the functionality, it also has much
more of a tendency to pick up electrical noise from the computer. This
may of course not be a big problem, especially if the music you record
fills out the entire sound spectrum all the time, but it is clearly not
satisfactory if you record, say, a single instrument (in my case a
renaissance lute).

Also, of course, a box with firewire would be a lot easier to carry
around and share; and even connect to a laptop in an emergency.

/jan