[linux-audio-user] Re: Firewire sound - which HW?

From: Loki Davison <loki.davison@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu May 18 2006 - 12:01:53 EEST

On 5/18/06, jan <jan@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
> Loki Davison wrote:
> > On 5/17/06, jan <jan@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
> >
> >> I'm looking to buy some sound recording equipment for my computer, but
> >> what should I get? The shop I went to recommended Motu Ultralite, Motu
> >> 828 MKII, Edirol FA101 or Focusrite Sapphire, all of which look fairly
> >> nice. But how about support for them in Linux?
> >>

> > is this a laptop? why this strange new obsession with firewire
> > everyone has.... pci cards arn't worse. Quite the other way actually.
> >
> > Loki
> >
> No, not a laptop. Firewire has been recommended to me by several people
> who ought to know about these things (musicians); the main reason being
> that while a pCI card may have all the functionality, it also has much
> more of a tendency to pick up electrical noise from the computer. This
> may of course not be a big problem, especially if the music you record
> fills out the entire sound spectrum all the time, but it is clearly not
> satisfactory if you record, say, a single instrument (in my case a
> renaissance lute).
>
> Also, of course, a box with firewire would be a lot easier to carry
> around and share; and even connect to a laptop in an emergency.
>
> /jan

umm... bullshit?

Look at the layla for example. Or rme's offerings. The pci card
doesn't do anything to do with analog signals. The ad/da's are in the
external box, and it's just digital signals going to the pci card,
same as with a firewire solution, only you don't have to deal with
dodgy firewire controllers on the motherboard, etc. Look at rme's pro
cards, eg the amazingly expensive madi cards, they are pci too. I find
you're reply quite insultingly toned btw,

>Firewire has been recommended to me by several people
> who ought to know about these things (musicians)

mmm... i'm not on lau because i want my onboard soundcard to play back
system sounds better.... shocking as it may seem some of us are also
musicians.

Loki