Re: [linux-audio-user] Not sure of right app to relay an audio stream -- icecast?

From: c <_@email-addr-hidden-your.name>
Date: Mon May 22 2006 - 21:38:31 EEST

On Sun May 21, 2006 at 07:40:08PM -0400, mrmoo@email-addr-hidden wrote:
> What I would like to do with a home network (of only two machines) is
> to relay mp3 audio stream from one box to another

mt-daapd + rhythmbox(gnome), vlc(wx), banshee(mono) or itunes(wine)
ices+icecast+playerofyourchoice
amarok + (nfs + mysql) or nmm
jack+netjack

are 5 ways. if you want to share a collection of mp3s around the place, id try mt-daapd which manages the collection database and serving the files to a number of players. or if you are willing to have KDE everywhere, mount your files to the same path on each, and point all the amarok's to a single mysql database. the daapd players arent as useful otherwise, and the only one ive found that can properly skip through files playing over DAAP is iTunes, which is kind of hard to get going in WINE.

mpd sounds good, until you realize its the inverse of the above setup. a bunch of clients controlling a single output point. maybe useful if you have a HTPD and some kind of linux wireless remote with a ncurses display, i donno...

for physical streams (eg, ive got a radio reciever plugged into my server, but often want to listen to the radio from my notebook without fiddling with a USB tuner), ices->icecast is great. the 'kh' branch of ices includes an ices-jack client which is quite cool. if youve got a fast LAN, check out netjack, which is the same thing but uncompressed PCM instead of ogg/mp3..

ive never tried amarok's nmm support, but i think its some kind of integrated streaming thing that can output to other nmm 'nodes'...