RE: [linux-audio-user] Ubuntu, ALSA, and the Roland UA-100

From: Scott Metoyer <smetoyer@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed May 24 2006 - 01:28:55 EEST

>> smetoyer@email-addr-hidden wrote:
>> Hey everyone... I'm a bit of a linux newb, so please bear with me.
>> I'm using Ubuntu and attempting to get a Roland UA-100 setup with
>> ALSA.

> Which kernel version? ("uname -a")
> Which ALSA version? ("cat /proc/asound/version")

uname -a
Linux dolores 2.6.12-10-386 #1 Fri Apr 28 13:13:44 UTC 2006 i686 GNU/Linux

cat /proc/asound/version
Advanced Linux Sound Architecture Driver Version 1.0.9 (Sun May 29 07:31:02
2005 UTC).

>> The driver appears to load ok, however aplay will hang when trying to
>> play any wave files (doesn't play any sound, has to be forcibly
>> ended).

> Is there an error message after ten seconds?

Unfortunately, no error message. I let aplay sit for over a minute before
killing it.

>> Attempting to test in the Multimedia Systems Selector results
>> in the 'Failed to construct test pipeline for Alsa' message. qjackctl
>> actually starts Jack ok, but pressing the play button on the transport
>> will not start it (it immediately flashes back to stopped)...

> Is there any error message in the system log?

I didn't see any errors in the system log... Is there something in
particular I should be looking for in there?

Thanks for taking the time to look at this!

--sm