[linux-audio-user] Re: Low latency with 2.6.16.16 vanilla

From: Loki Davison <loki.davison@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed May 24 2006 - 02:17:41 EEST

On 5/24/06, Lee Revell <rlrevell@email-addr-hidden-job.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 2006-05-24 at 10:28 +0200, Wolfgang Woehl wrote:
> > Hi, I want to try what Lee mentioned a couple of times recently: Low
> latency
> > audio performance with 2.6 mainline -- no mingo-patch, no rt-lsm (athlon
> xp
> > 2600+, asus a7v8x-x, hdsp. On a 2.4.26 with lck patches this system has
> good
> > lowlat performance, solid jackd with -p 64 -n 2, so the hardware should be
> > ok. Ah well, looong dropouts on deep reiserfs walks that never show up in
> > jackd's messages but that's hopefully another story).
> >
> > Got 2.6.16.16 from kernel.org. If I understood Lee right I could expect a
> > jackd with -p 64 -n 2 to work just fine but it doesn't. Loads of xruns.
> What
> > am I missing? What can I do to find out?
> >

> -p 64 -n 2 is pushing the envelope of what the mainline kernel can do.
> 128 or 256 should be solid. It will depend on the hardware and driver
> set.
>
> Reiserfs is a poor choice of filesystem for low latency.
>
> Also make sure you are in realtime mode - depending on the distro, the
> realtime LSM may still be required. I guess you are using the PAM
> method to enable non-root realtime?
>
> Lee

ext3 the best choice? Is there some easy way to convert an reiserfs
partition to an ext3 one? All my partitions, including my root
partition are reiserfs so i'm assuming that may be something to do
with my inability to record more than 2 tracks at a time in ardour
with my amd64 3000+ system and sata drives.

Loki