Re: [linux-audio-user] Re: Low latency with 2.6.16.16 vanilla

From: Lee Revell <rlrevell@email-addr-hidden-job.com>
Date: Wed May 24 2006 - 02:33:19 EEST

On Wed, 2006-05-24 at 09:17 +1000, Loki Davison wrote:
> ext3 the best choice? Is there some easy way to convert an reiserfs
> partition to an ext3 one? All my partitions, including my root
> partition are reiserfs so i'm assuming that may be something to do
> with my inability to record more than 2 tracks at a time in ardour
> with my amd64 3000+ system and sata drives.

You'd have to copy off all the data, mkfs again, and copy it back.

Do you have CONFIG_PREEMPT_BKL=y in the mainline kernel config?
ReiserFS 3.x uses it heavily.

Also, I never claimed that mainline was OK on all hardware - it does
work for me and several others I have talked to. It will heavily depend
on the driver set.

Did you do:

        echo 64 > /sys/block/hd*/queue/max_sectors_kb

like I described on the ML and my LAC2006 paper?

You could also use Ingo's latency tracer patch for the mainline kernel o
debug it.

Lee