Re: [linux-audio-user] ecasound interactive mode

From: Joel Roth <joelz@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri May 26 2006 - 19:45:25 EEST

On Thu, May 25, 2006 at 11:27:06PM -0400, Paul Coccoli wrote:

> Well, I'd like an app that lets me write songs the way that I used to
> in bands. Usually I have a bass line or guitar part first. Record
> it. Then I (or somebody) comes up with drums for that part, etc. Add
> a track for that. After jamming on that for a bit (i.e. looping the
> recorded tracks and playing over it), a second riff, bass line, or
> drum part comes up. Record that (separately). Loop that for while,
> jamming on it. Now play the first part 4 times, then the second part
> 4 times. Wait, I want the second part first, then the first part.
> Etc.
>
> While it's possible to work like this in, say, ardour (or ecmdr),
> neither one is optimized (in terms of UI) for it. I don't intend to
> record finished pieces with a tool like this, but rather use it as a
> songwriting tool.

Interesting. From what I've seen Ardour comes pretty close.

I wonder what tricks you could use to set your looping at
exactly the right places. If you played to a
click track it would be simple math.

Currently Ecmd doesn't do looping or punch-in punch-out.
Support would be possible by creating a data structure
corresponding to an .ewf file that could be specified for
each track.

With .ewf support and a click-track tempo, one could add in
some sequencing features. Or you could simply listen, and
when you come to the place you want an audio clip to start
you could click to mark the position (like setting a
marker).

Probably you could find great tools if you were willing to
do the entire project in midi.

> Of course, if there is a program that makes working like this easy,
> I'll definitely use it. Or if someone wants to add these types of
> features, I'll be more than glad to help (since I never seem to finish
> any of my pet projects anyway, like my plugins, my beat-synced effects
> program, etc.).

Sounds like all the electronic projects that i built but
never learned to debugn.

--joel

--
Joel Roth