Re: [linux-audio-user] ecasound interactive mode

From: Paul Coccoli <pcoccoli@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri May 26 2006 - 06:27:06 EEST

On 5/25/06, Joel Roth <joelz@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
> On Thu, May 25, 2006 at 02:25:28PM +1000, Stuart Allie wrote:
>
> > With regards to frontends for eca, I am working on one myself. I hope to
> > have the first release in a month or so. It will try to preserve as much
> > of ecasound's semantics as possible, and even give you interactive mode
> > access. I'll try and get a screenshot of the current version up
> > somewhere for people to look at and make suggestions on.
>
> I'm curious what motivates your design, having spent a
> long time writing one of my own using perl and tk.
>
> http://ecmdr.infogami.com
>
> Did you ever have a chance to have a look?? Any feedback??
>
> But then why did I write a front end of my when a rather mature
> Tkeca is available??
>
> - I had (and have) a few problems getting it to work.
>
> - By allowing many of the possibilities for Ecasound
> there seemed lots of ways to get errors.
>
> - Too many windows makes my eyes glaze over, I
> find it hard to keep the big picture.
>
> - Ditto, with dialog boxes, for which I
> have a special dislike.
>
> - I'm not used to reading/hacking tcl
>
> - I wanted an autoincrement function for
> recording several songs with the same
> setup.
>
> Are people's requirements and expectations really so
> different?
>
> Regards
>
> Joel
>
> --
> Joel Roth

Well, I'd like an app that lets me write songs the way that I used to
in bands. Usually I have a bass line or guitar part first. Record
it. Then I (or somebody) comes up with drums for that part, etc. Add
a track for that. After jamming on that for a bit (i.e. looping the
recorded tracks and playing over it), a second riff, bass line, or
drum part comes up. Record that (separately). Loop that for while,
jamming on it. Now play the first part 4 times, then the second part
4 times. Wait, I want the second part first, then the first part.
Etc.

While it's possible to work like this in, say, ardour (or ecmdr),
neither one is optimized (in terms of UI) for it. I don't intend to
record finished pieces with a tool like this, but rather use it as a
songwriting tool.

Of course, if there is a program that makes working like this easy,
I'll definitely use it. Or if someone wants to add these types of
features, I'll be more than glad to help (since I never seem to finish
any of my pet projects anyway, like my plugins, my beat-synced effects
program, etc.).

paul