Re: [linux-audio-user] My two best songs so far

From: Jan Depner <eviltwin69@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat May 27 2006 - 20:40:59 EEST

On Sat, 2006-05-27 at 17:14 +0700, Patrick Shirkey wrote:
> John Anderson wrote:
> > Patrick Shirkey wrote:
> >
> >> I like thirty. It has a nice airy flow and clean sound. It reminds me
> >> of a soundtrack the Coen Brothers would use.
> >
> > Thanks. Now all I have to do is somehow convince the Coen Brothers to
> > actually use it :-)
> >
> > If you don't mind me asking - what did you dislike about firelightless?
> > Be honest now...
> >

> Hi John,
>
> Well you asked for it... :)
>
> --
>
> - The violin comes in very sharp on the very first second of the song.
> - Then there are certain pitches that the singer sounds quite flat on.
> Particularly the highest notes. Otherwise her voice is well fitted to
> the over feeling of the song.
> - There are a couple of points where the timing is lost in the center of
> the track.

John,

    Since you're asking for painfully honest opinions I'll throw mine in
here as well ;-) I agree with Patrick on the vocals. It seems to me
that the singer is afraid of her own voice. I have recorded some of my
son's friends bands and almost without exception the "singers" think
that falsetto is their normal singing voice. I usually have to run all
of the rest of the band out and spend a few hours getting them to loosen
up and really sing. It sounds to me like the singer in Firelightless
has a decent voice, she's just got to go ahead and belt it out. If
you're striving for that soft vocal sound you can do it with mic
placement and/or volume and effects instead of having her sing falsetto.
I don't feel that you lost the timing in the center, it just gets a bit
more understated. You're still on tempo. Other than the vocals I think
it's a great song. I like everything else about it.

--
Jan 'Evil Twin' Depner
The Fuzzy Dice