[linux-audio-user] Sounds for Linux software synths

From: Ismael Valladolid Torres <ivalladolidt@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun May 28 2006 - 17:53:11 EEST

Maybe any newcomer to this world of Linux sofware synths won't think
that there isn't a lot of nice programs available, but instead will
note a big lack of sounds with which to feed those programs.

As an example, only Worra's Place is listed in Linux sampler web site
as a place where to get .gig files. And I definitely think that this
site is, at least, "ugly". Isn't it there any other source of
free/CC/GPL'ed sounds in .gig format?

Also for fluidsynth. It supports soundfonts but, where to get
free top-quality sounds in this format? Yes, there's Hammer Sound, but
there I've never found nothing more, let's say, sophisticated than
good GM programs.

Shouldn't it be the way to go for us to drown into Freesound and
create and share free stuff? What to use meanwhile?

Let's suppose the way to go is to buy commercial sounds. Would you go
for .sf2 or for .gig files? Which one, fluidsynth or linuxsampler do a
better job rendering synth-like sounds?

Cordially, Ismael

--
 Ismael Valladolid Torres       OpenPGP key ID: 0xDE721AF4
  [^[$B$?$S$?$S$9$_$^$;$s^[(B]       Jabber ID: ivalladt@email-addr-hidden