Re: [linux-audio-user] Getting some input (was Getting some hardware...)

From: Yves Potin <yves_p@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun May 28 2006 - 17:02:30 EEST

Le 28 May à 08:52, lanas ecrivait:

> To illustrate this, if I use a Linux sequencer such as MuSE, it will
> receive note data on channel 10. So everything I tap on the Handsonic
> will be sequenced by MuSE. But how about if I do not use the Handsonic
> built-in sounds ? Is it possible for the Linux PC to generate 5
> different sounds for this channel, for MuSE to know which note (MIDI
> event) belongs to which sound, and then to actually playback the MIDI
> events on channel 10 with all the different sounds ?

        The « linux PC » in itself won't generate any sound, but various
softwares will. About drums, with MuSE's drum editor, you can very easily
define a drum track which won't have all its notes on the same port nor on
the same channel.
        Also, you can have, *on the output*, each instrument of the drums
(I mean each number of note, each key of the keyboard) assigned to a
dedicated port, and channel on this port, which means for example :
        Snare on channel 1, cymbals on 2, Kick on 3 and toms on 4, of 4
differents samples, each sample loaded in its own channel of linuxsampler.
        Congas on another port, affected to channel 1 of hydrogen with the
appropriate drumkit loaded
        Gong played on channel 1 on another port of antoher software, for
example a soundfont loaded in Fluidsynth which you can control inside of
MuSE or outside of it with Qsynth.
        And so on. Theorically, there are more than 16 midi channels on
the same port (I have just seen this possibility, I haven't used it).
        All these sounds can be assigned to a dedicated audio output and
plugged to another software in Jack, so you can record each one of them in
Ardour on a dedicated track and mix them separately with a special set of
effects on each track, to the most complete confusion if you put enough
different reverbs, and why not delays :).
        Of course, you can assign some midi outputs in the drum editor of
MuSE to re-use the device used to enter the notes in the sequencer (or
another external device), depending on the multi channel capabilities of
your devices, and finally its audio outputs.
        I personnaly strongly recommand to save such a drumkit in Muse
once you're satisfied, to reuse it for another track :).
        Best,

Y.