Re: [linux-audio-user] Re: audio interface for laptop

From: Pieter Palmers <pieterp@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon May 29 2006 - 12:06:15 EEST

cezar@email-addr-hidden wrote:
> Pieter Palmers <pieterp@email-addr-hidden> writes:
>
>> cezar@email-addr-hidden wrote:

>>> TerraTec PHASE Rack 88 FW, TerraTec EWS Mic2 / Mic8 Firewire and ESI
>>> QuataFire 610 seem interesting. Could anyone post some working
>>> setups
>>> with these boards, technical issues and performance obtained.
>> I have a phase88 rack FW and an ESI quatafire 610.
>>
>> Don't get the ESI, because they don't update their firmware (they are
>> still using a 2 year old firmware, while the most recent reference
>> firmware dates from january). Therefore it is difficult to fully
>> support it.
>>
>> The Phase88 FW is nice. Very straightforward.
>>
>> All devices you mention are BeBoB devices and are therefore supported
>> by the freebob project. we are going to release a first version of the
>> code really soon. This will allow you to use the BeBoB based devices
>> with jackd. If you want alsa, you'll have to use the jack<->alsa
>> plugin.
>>
>> The support is not complete yet, but all the basic things are present:
>> - Analog I/O at all samplerates supported by the device
>> - Digital I/O, depending on the format and firmware config. SPDIF out
>> mostly works, provided it's not AC3 passthrough.
>> - MIDI support through ALSA-Sequencer
>>
>> Experimental support for:
>> - multiple devices on the bus using wordclock sync
>>
>> Not supported yet:
>> - hardware zero-latency mixer control
>> - extended device configuration controls (front/back switches, sync
>> modes, ...)
>> - native ALSA support
>>
>> Roundtrip audio loopback latencies are, depending on your system,
>> around 5-7ms.
>>
>> I think that everything you need for a basic setup is supported
>> (except for the mixer maybe). The more advanced stuff is going to be
>> supported in the next version. As we are cooperating with the chipset
>> & device vendors, we can assure you that all features of the devices
>> will be supported. It's just a matter of time.
>>
>> Greets,
>>
>> Pieter Palmers
>> freebob developer
>
> I have a M-Audio Firewire 410 right now, could you tell if this will be
> supported sometime soon ? very soon ? :P This way I wouldn't have to buy
> another interface.

The 410 is customised by M-Audio in such a way that is is non-BeBoB
compatible. Therefore I can't tell if there will be support for it soon.
However, as there seem to be a lot of 410 owners, I'll contact m-audio
and see if they are willing to cooperate.

Bottom line: I can't guarantee you, but I'll ask m-audio. Ask me again
in a week or so.

Greets,

Pieter