Re: [linux-audio-user] [Music] First track – prog rock instrumental

From: tim hall <tech@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon May 29 2006 - 13:37:06 EEST

On Sunday 21 May 2006 22:34, Q was like:
> Hi everyone
>
> *gulp* Here goes...
>
> Finally everyone is happy with this. It's a prog(ish) rock instrumental
> called "Laetoli (a fragment of a track)".
>
> Ogg-5 (6.47 MB)
> http://www.spitfireq.f2s.com/music/Laetoli_%28a_fragment_of_a_track%29_ogg5
>.ogg
>
> Ogg-10 (18.6 MB)
> http://www.spitfireq.f2s.com/music/Laetoli_%28a_fragment_of_a_track%29.ogg
>
> Flac (35.4 MB)
> http://www.spitfireq.f2s.com/music/Laetoli_%28a_fragment_of_a_track%29.flac
>

> Two or three of the wavs were recorded under Windows, shortly before I
> discovered DeMuDi. Everything else has been recorded, mixed etc under
> Linux.
>
> It was, perhaps, not the easiest choice for the first piece to record –
> it's been a steep learning curve, not only making the transition from
> Windows to Linux but also learning music software and DAW recording from
> scratch. It has been fun though and made easier by all the useful
> information and help and advice on the lists and elsewhere. It might
> have been finished sooner had the guitarist not bought a new axe partway
> through and insisted on re-recording a load of parts ;-)
>
> Hope you like it, feedback welcome.

I finally got round to listening to this.

Very nice. I agree that the Bass is the weakness in this track, but my
reasoning is different. Personally I would like to hear a much more driving
bass and I think it needs a few 'rushes' to build it, possibly in the drum
parts, but there are other ways of doing this. If you feel the piece is
finished, I would leave it there and simply bear in mind these comments for
future pieces. I'm not a great fan of over-production.

--
cheers,
tim hall