Re: [linux-audio-user] Low latency with 2.6.16.16 vanilla

From: Lee Revell <rlrevell@email-addr-hidden-job.com>
Date: Tue May 30 2006 - 20:05:37 EEST

On Tue, 2006-05-30 at 11:59 -0500, Gian Paolo Mureddu wrote:
> For instance Fedora Core 5 has the version of PAM required... Say, if
> I grab my kernel's .srpm, modify the spec to it includes this patch,
> make sure that this patch will play nice with the rest of the Fedora
> patches and am successful to build and install the generated kernel,
> how would I make use of the PAM controls to set user-space real-time
> priorities?

Why do you want to recompile the kernel? It should Just Work with the
FC5 kernel. In fact there is no config option to disable the nice and
rtprio rlimits. This is why it's easier than realtime LSM - no kernel
patching is required.

> PS: I read the thread, but the e-mail containing the pam controls was
> accidentally erased, were those the ones needed with this patch?

Add to /etc/security/limits.conf something like:

* hard rtprio 99
* hard nice -20
* soft nice -20
* hard memlock 500000

There is some anecdotal evidence that "memlock" does not work. I have
not investigated it yet.

Lee