Re: [linux-audio-user] Three last tracks

From: tim hall <tech@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed May 31 2006 - 13:40:37 EEST

On Tuesday 30 May 2006 21:15, Yves Potin was like:
> Hi.
> Thank you again for the very nice things you said about the last
> tracks :). I'd like to submit three last ones to your listening, hoping
> for all kind of thoughts and advices, especially which could help me
> improving the sound, the mix, and also the use of Jamin. Then I hope I'll
> be ready to release this music on a web site, of course under a free
> licence, with some other tracks.
> First, a (very) personnal version of a very well known song :
> http://ypotin.nerim.net/astronomy_domine.ogg (Syd Barett) 5,7 M

It's hard to listen to a cover of this song as the original has such a
peculiar numinous quality that has little to do with the notes played. This
is how Tim Blake would do it I guess. I was looking forward to a bit more
guitar. It's all far too clean for my tastes.

> Then, an arrangement I wrote of a jazz standard :
> http://ypotin.nerim.net/lennies_pennies.ogg (Lennie Tristano) 5,4 M

I started liking this around 2:14. It's a bit nebulous up to this point. Great
horns, if a little synthy.

> Finally, a more personnal track, a bit long, about which I'd
> be really glad to hear your comments :
> http://ypotin.nerim.net/oceaniques.ogg 11,4 M

I'm not over-keen on the lead synth voice in the first part. It sounds like it
would benefit from a real instrument. In fact that would be my greatest
complaint of the whole piece, really, your choice of synth sounds. The
writing is great and the more organic sounds work well, but the synth sounds
are like a cheesy keyboard demo, which doesn't do your music justice.

> Thanks in advance for any kind of thoughts about all this, and my
> apologies if my English is rarely as clear as I'd liked it to be :).

Your music speaks clearly enough. :)

--
cheers,
tim