Re: [linux-audio-user] FC5 and Flash Audio

From: Thomas Ilnseher <illth@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Jun 01 2006 - 18:22:32 EEST

Brad Fuller wrote:
> Thomas Ilnseher wrote:
>
>> Brad Fuller wrote:

>> /dev/dsp* are oss audio devices.
>>
>> oss drivers are marked as depreciated in the kernel, and are replaced
>> with alsa drivers.
>>
>> thus i am sure, FC5 will use ALSA instead of oss.
>>
>> there are oss compatibility modules for alsa, they are named:
>> snd_pcm_oss
>> snd_mixer_oss
>> snd_seq_oss
>>
> as I mentioned, these do exist. So it's looking more and more like a
> udev problem.

ok, /dev/dsp1 does exist and is usable (the modules are loaded)

you could try to make a symlink from /dev/dsp1 to /dev/dsp
ln -s /dev/dps1 /dev/dsp
and see if things work.

i noticed that for my installation (which is gentoo!), legacy oss
devices are created in
/dev/sound/ .

maybe that is true for FC5 also.

on my sys there are symlinks created from /dev/dsp to /dev/sound/dsp and
so on.

the udev rules look like this:

# sound devices
KERNEL=="adsp", NAME="sound/%k", SYMLINK+="%k",
GROUP="audio"
KERNEL=="adsp[0-9]*", NAME="sound/%k", SYMLINK+="%k",
GROUP="audio"
KERNEL=="audio", NAME="sound/%k", SYMLINK+="%k",
GROUP="audio"
KERNEL=="audio[0-9]*", NAME="sound/%k", SYMLINK+="%k",
GROUP="audio"
KERNEL=="dsp", NAME="sound/%k", SYMLINK+="%k",
GROUP="audio"
KERNEL=="dsp[0-9]*", NAME="sound/%k", SYMLINK+="%k",
GROUP="audio"
KERNEL=="mixer", NAME="sound/%k", SYMLINK+="%k",
GROUP="audio"
KERNEL=="mixer[0-9]*", NAME="sound/%k", SYMLINK+="%k",
GROUP="audio"
KERNEL=="sequencer", NAME="sound/%k", SYMLINK+="%k",
GROUP="audio"
KERNEL=="sequencer[0-9]*", NAME="sound/%k", SYMLINK+="%k",
GROUP="audio"

they are located under /etc/udev/rules.d/50-udev.rules (here in gentoo).