Re: [linux-audio-user] nifty gizmo

From: Cesare Marilungo <cesare@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Jun 01 2006 - 22:24:55 EEST

greg wrote:

>http://monome.org
>
>Impressive video, runs OSC. $500 (ow!). Open source on the drivers and
>firmware but they don't say how to build it. Anyone seen this in the
>wild? Supposedly they're going to be shipping by two weeks ago.
>gkj

I've read about it on many blogs in the past few months. I believe that
the price is high because of the trendy design and the stylish pictures
they made of the first prototypes.

If you want to try to make your own, the electronic circuit to make such
thing should be pretty cheap (10-20$). Then you should find and buy
those backlit buttons, but you can use a simple button with a led above
it for a less futuristic, more retro style. Anyway, it shouldn't be
difficult to find this kind of buttons on some online shop.

The firmware: one of the simplest assembly programs you can write. You
can make it with the PIC 16f84 (5$) and a bunch of demultiplexer ICs.

The protocol is: just send this 64 bits (one for each button).

c.

--
www.cesaremarilungo.com