Re: [linux-audio-user] Re: nifty gizmo

From: Frank Barknecht <fbar@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Jun 02 2006 - 22:16:31 EEST

Hallo,
Loki Davison hat gesagt: // Loki Davison wrote:

> On 6/1/06, greg <gkjoyce@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
> >http://monome.org
> >
> >Impressive video, runs OSC. $500 (ow!). Open source on the drivers and
> >firmware but they don't say how to build it. Anyone seen this in the
> >wild? Supposedly they're going to be shipping by two weeks ago.
> >gkj
> >

> Are they touch sensitive, i.e mpc style or just on off? ?$500 is
> really really over the top for on off and pretty pointless.

You're not only getting the readymade board, but also full source
code, which is way more than e.g. M-Audio provides. And with buying
the unit, you also support the developement of the source code as free
software. Plus: It's probably a very small run with not a big number
of units produced.

I wish the monome-people all the best with their stuff, they seem to
have the right attitude. This also is visible in their "about" page
with words like this:

  we choose not to outsource production in cases where it supports
  controversial governments, exploits workers, and leads to
  destructive environmental practices. by working with small, local
  companies we hope to foster long-term relationships, gain more
  insight and control over production, and actually witness our
  products? progression. as a result we engage in continuous and
  responsive design. we choose to support companies who share our
  values; companies who provide living wages, clean and safe working
  environments, and high quality goods.

$500 may be a lot of money, but obviously one shouldn't expect
Behringer prices with these standards.

Ciao