Re: [linux-audio-user] Re: nifty gizmo

From: Joshua Boyd <jdboyd@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Jun 06 2006 - 18:29:44 EEST

On Fri, Jun 02, 2006 at 09:16:31PM +0200, Frank Barknecht wrote:

> You're not only getting the readymade board, but also full source
> code, which is way more than e.g. M-Audio provides. And with buying
> the unit, you also support the developement of the source code as free
> software. Plus: It's probably a very small run with not a big number
> of units produced.

>From pictures of the Maker Faire, it looks like the buttons are custom
made as well, and that the PCB is huge. Add those two items onto it
being a small run device, and that even more explains the price.

I'm aware of some off the shelf buttons that have a LED in them.
However, it an exposed LED, not something that makes the entire button
glow nicely, and these off the shelf buttons have a fairly cheap feel to
them. If anyone cared for building their own cheaper knock offs, I
could ask the hardware engineers what those buttons are.

--
Joshua D. Boyd
jdboyd@email-addr-hidden