Re: [linux-audio-user] FC5 and Flash Audio

From: Fernando Lopez-Lezcano <nando@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Jun 05 2006 - 23:08:19 EEST

On Wed, 2006-05-31 at 17:52 -0700, Brad Fuller wrote:
> I've upgraded to FC5, and I'm slowly inching my way up to get audio
> working (PlanetCCRMA). I have a particular problem in that Flash video
> works fine, but I have no audio (occurs in Firefox, Opera and
> Konqueror.) I've searched for a solution and really haven't found
> anything that works. Some reports have said that a chmod to /dev/dsp of
> 0666 will help. Others say that changing the permissions on the
> "plugins" directory will do the trick. Nope, not for me.
>
> I noticed that I had no /dev/dsp. So, I kinda figured that maybe the
> Flash plugin hard defaults to writing to /dev/dsp. So I made one with
> ./MAKEDEV audio... and sure enough, a dsp1 was made. However, I still
> have no audio when playing flash in a browser.
>
> Anyone come across this problem? Any ideas?

I stumbled across something similar a while back (no solution found).
What soundcard are you using? If flash does not find the "correct" mixer
controls or configuration it just keeps looking for another soundcard it
can use, in my case it ignored by delta66 and went on to the (unused)
mobo soundcard. Do an "strace mozilla &>trace", try the thing you want
to use and browse through the copious output searching for "/dev" or
something like that - to try to find out what the plugins is trying to
do.

-- Fernando