Re: [linux-audio-user] Low latency with 2.6.16.16 vanilla

From: Tim Mayberry <mojofunk@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Jun 09 2006 - 06:36:49 EEST

On 5/31/06, Lee Revell <rlrevell@email-addr-hidden-job.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 2006-05-30 at 11:59 -0500, Gian Paolo Mureddu wrote:
>
> Why do you want to recompile the kernel? It should Just Work with the
> FC5 kernel. In fact there is no config option to disable the nice and
> rtprio rlimits. This is why it's easier than realtime LSM - no kernel
> patching is required.
>
> > PS: I read the thread, but the e-mail containing the pam controls was
> > accidentally erased, were those the ones needed with this patch?
>
> Add to /etc/security/limits.conf something like:
>
> * hard rtprio 99
> * hard nice -20
> * soft nice -20
> * hard memlock 500000
>
> There is some anecdotal evidence that "memlock" does not work. I have
> not investigated it yet.
>
> Lee

I believe if you set a hard limit without also setting the soft limit
it will leave the soft limit at the default. On FC5 the default limit
for rtprio is 0 and memlock is 32k or so. I think you can use '-' to
set both the soft and hard limit, so the above would become:

* - rtprio 99
* - nice -20
* - memlock 500000

Tim.