Re: [linux-audio-user] Recording ADAT inputs on RME hammerfall 9636/52

From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Jun 20 2006 - 15:53:52 EEST

On 6/20/06, Paul Davis <paul@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
> On Mon, 2006-06-19 at 22:51 -0700, Stephen Cameron wrote:
<SNIP>
> > I've got an RME hammerfall lite (9636/52)
<SNIP>
> a) make sure you are on a distro that makes hdspconf and hdspmixer
> available. several braindead distributions have removed the alsa package
> that includes these tools from their repositories.
>
> b) run hdspmixer to initialize the HDSP mixer to a sane default

Paul,
Hammerfall, not HDSP. Does any of this work in his case? It didn't
when I was running my Hammerfall under Linux.

Steve,
   I have both an HDSP9652 and a Hammerfall Lite. My Hammerfall is now
in a Windows box so I cannot step you though an exact solution but I
have used it under Linux and it works well. I'm pretty sure some group
of us can answer your questions and get you there pretty quickly.

   The Hammerfall will work correctly with Alsa drivers and the Jack
server. I think your most simple answer is as Paul outlined, although
I think that you cannot use hdspconf to set the clock rate of the
Hammerfall unless hdspconf has been updated in some way I'm not aware
of.

   To set the card's clock rate will likely require use of some amixer
commands. man amixer and then play around with reading out the
controls in the driver. The correct solution here is to configure
either your Hammerfall or the AW4416 as a clock slave. I don't have
any problems using the ADAT lines to sync clocks so you could try that
to begin with. It will certainly work well enough to test the
connection. You can go to a spdif or Word Clock sync later if you need
it. I'm not sure if you can do Word Clock sync on a DIGI9636 anyway.
That connection may be on the DIGI9652 expander card. I cannot
remember.

   Anyway, it will work. Possibly you can post back your currect
settings from /proc/asound/cards and the output of amixer's listing of
controls and er can get you lined up pretty quickly.

Cheers,
Mark