Re: [linux-audio-user] Recording ADAT inputs on RME hammerfall 9636/52

From: Stephen Cameron <smcameron@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Jun 20 2006 - 16:45:40 EEST

--- Mark Knecht <markknecht@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

> On 6/20/06, Paul Davis <paul@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
> > On Mon, 2006-06-19 at 22:51 -0700, Stephen Cameron wrote:
> <SNIP>
> > > I've got an RME hammerfall lite (9636/52)
> <SNIP>
> > a) make sure you are on a distro that makes hdspconf and hdspmixer
> > available. several braindead distributions have removed the alsa package
> > that includes these tools from their repositories.
> >
> > b) run hdspmixer to initialize the HDSP mixer to a sane default
> >

> Paul,
> Hammerfall, not HDSP. Does any of this work in his case? It didn't
> when I was running my Hammerfall under Linux.

Ah, thank you, that was going to be my next question.

(and this morning, I tried to build hdspmixer from alsa-tools-1.0.11
and it wanted fltk lib... tried the
latest fltk lib v. 1.1xxx and v. 2.xxx something, and though
configure stopped complaining, hdspmixer
would compile with neither version of the fltk libs. Maybe it
needs some specific earlier version? (or newer CVS version?)
It complained about no such member something->fl_widget. (I
can reproduce the exact message when I get home tonight
if anybody here wants me to.)

But it sounds like I might not be able to use hdspmixer
anyhow, even if I could build it.

> Steve,
> I have both an HDSP9652 and a Hammerfall Lite. My Hammerfall is now
> in a Windows box so I cannot step you though an exact solution but I
> have used it under Linux and it works well. I'm pretty sure some group
> of us can answer your questions and get you there pretty quickly.
>
> The Hammerfall will work correctly with Alsa drivers and the Jack
> server. I think your most simple answer is as Paul outlined, although
> I think that you cannot use hdspconf to set the clock rate of the
> Hammerfall unless hdspconf has been updated in some way I'm not aware
> of.
>
> To set the card's clock rate will likely require use of some amixer
> commands. man amixer and then play around with reading out the
> controls in the driver. The correct solution here is to configure
> either your Hammerfall or the AW4416 as a clock slave. I don't have
> any problems using the ADAT lines to sync clocks so you could try that
> to begin with. It will certainly work well enough to test the
> connection. You can go to a spdif or Word Clock sync later if you need
> it. I'm not sure if you can do Word Clock sync on a DIGI9636 anyway.
> That connection may be on the DIGI9652 expander card. I cannot
> remember.

Ok, this gives me some hints to play around with, and encouragement.
Thanks a bunch! I imagine when I run, say qjackconnect,
I should expect to see a bunch of inputs and outputs to
the hammerfall? But maybe my config files (asound... ) have
to be correct first?

> Anyway, it will work. Possibly you can post back your currect
> settings from /proc/asound/cards and the output of amixer's listing of
> controls and er can get you lined up pretty quickly.

Ok, I will do that tonight.

Thanks again,

-- steve