Re: [linux-audio-user] Recording ADAT inputs on RME hammerfall 9636/52

From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Jun 20 2006 - 20:01:10 EEST

On 6/20/06, Stephen Cameron <smcameron@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
> --- Mark Knecht <markknecht@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
<SNIP>
> > Hammerfall, not HDSP. Does any of this work in his case? It didn't
> > when I was running my Hammerfall under Linux.
>
> Ah, thank you, that was going to be my next question.
>
> (and this morning, I tried to build hdspmixer from alsa-tools-1.0.11
> and it wanted fltk lib... tried the
> latest fltk lib v. 1.1xxx and v. 2.xxx something, and though
> configure stopped complaining, hdspmixer
> would compile with neither version of the fltk libs. Maybe it
> needs some specific earlier version? (or newer CVS version?)
> It complained about no such member something->fl_widget. (I
> can reproduce the exact message when I get home tonight
> if anybody here wants me to.)

Should not be required or useful (as far as I know) for the DIGI9636.
hdspconf and hdspmixer only work with the HDSP cards, not the older
Hammerfall cards.

This is a common mistake. I make it about 40% of the time people write here...

> But it sounds like I might not be able to use hdspmixer
> anyhow, even if I could build it.

Nope...

> > Steve,
> > I have both an HDSP9652 and a Hammerfall Lite. My Hammerfall is now
> > in a Windows box so I cannot step you though an exact solution but I
> > have used it under Linux and it works well. I'm pretty sure some group
> > of us can answer your questions and get you there pretty quickly.
> >
> > The Hammerfall will work correctly with Alsa drivers and the Jack
> > server. I think your most simple answer is as Paul outlined, although
> > I think that you cannot use hdspconf to set the clock rate of the
> > Hammerfall unless hdspconf has been updated in some way I'm not aware
> > of.
> >
> > To set the card's clock rate will likely require use of some amixer
> > commands. man amixer and then play around with reading out the
> > controls in the driver. The correct solution here is to configure
> > either your Hammerfall or the AW4416 as a clock slave. I don't have
> > any problems using the ADAT lines to sync clocks so you could try that
> > to begin with. It will certainly work well enough to test the
> > connection. You can go to a spdif or Word Clock sync later if you need
> > it. I'm not sure if you can do Word Clock sync on a DIGI9636 anyway.
> > That connection may be on the DIGI9652 expander card. I cannot
> > remember.
>
> Ok, this gives me some hints to play around with, and encouragement.
> Thanks a bunch! I imagine when I run, say qjackconnect,
> I should expect to see a bunch of inputs and outputs to
> the hammerfall? But maybe my config files (asound... ) have
> to be correct first?

You should not need any config files. I don't use them. There is one
file which is created by the system called /etc/asound.state which
sometimes is outdated by Alsa updates. If that happens you'll get
messages when Alsa starts (probably boot time for you - what distro?)
and the messages will say things like a 'control' has incorrect
values, etc. If that happens just erase asound.state and let the
system create a new one.

> > Anyway, it will work. Possibly you can post back your currect
> > settings from /proc/asound/cards and the output of amixer's listing of
> > controls and er can get you lined up pretty quickly.
>
> Ok, I will do that tonight.

Will look in and see if I can help.

Cheers,
Mark