Re: [linux-audio-user] Re: which graphics card?

From: Thomas Ilnseher <illth@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Jun 21 2006 - 14:51:46 EEST

Frank Barknecht wrote:
> Hallo,
> Jonny Stutters hat gesagt: // Jonny Stutters wrote:
>

>> The solution as I see it (and so this isn't a /completely/ negative rant
>> ;) ) is more advocacy => more users => noticable difference to the
>> bottom line of companies who don't supply quality (open-source where
>> legally possible) Linux drivers.
>>

> An important part of the solution also is to boycott vendors, who
> don't provide specifications for the development of open source
> drivers for their hardware.
>
> As long as people still buy NVidia chips, why should they change their
> current position?

But nvidia DOES offer decent (non-GPL, proprietary, binary) drivers.

not that i am totally happy about that, but this is the best you can get.

sure - nv's drivers do suck in some respect, but also the ati open
source drivers do.
and even if there were open source drivers - no one* would use them, if
the closed source drivers
bring better performance.

Or would anyone of you really spent € 280 for a 7800GT and use
(imaginatory) open source drivers
instead of just get the same performance from a €180 7600GT with closed
source drivers ?

well, i say that drivers for things like webcams, soundchips and all
that stuff should be opensource.

but i have to confess that 3D gfx drivers (with decent performance) are
such a complex thing that
you can not demand them to be opensource.

*) ok, ppl that use the gfx card only for 2D and some eye candy that is
GL accelerated probably will use them.