[linux-audio-user] Re: "on stage" pc

From: Arnold Krille <arnold.krille@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Jun 23 2006 - 22:22:14 EEST

Hi,

untested comments follow:

2006/6/23, Markus Herhoffer <markus@herhoffer.net>:
> I need a recommendation for a sound card or USB device for a PC that
> will serve as sequencer and virtual instrument on stage. I need a cheap
> yet powerful sound card with the following features:
> - - about 4 ins and 4 outs. (If there are more, the sound engineer will go
> crazy)
> - - ultra low latency
> - - compatible to be built into a 19'' rack.
> - - MIDI-In/Out

M-Audio has the Delta 44 which is 4in and 4out. With a small
breakout-box to jack in your cables...
PCI has the advantage that rather a lot of cards are tested and
functional on linux.

If you prefer USB, you won't find 4x4 devices. Because usb1.1 can only
carry four streams reliable (which is stereo in and out) and usb2.0
hasn't an audio standard, so most of these devices don't work on
linux.

Firewire has some devices available through the FreeBob-project, but
the devices with more channels aren't cheap. (You didn't say anything
about the money you want to spend.)

So long,

Arnold

--