[linux-audio-user] Re: midi ctrl

From: <njcross@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Jun 24 2006 - 22:15:10 EEST

> > > MIDI Controller?
> > >
> > > Stuff like pitch bend, sustain, etc. Not the notes but the other stuff
> > > that synths and keyboards do?
> > >
> > > - Mark
> >
> > Yes, I need to transform pitchbend or sustain etc (I can choose)
continuous
> > controller data into midi note data.
> > The program I've got spews out ctrl data and I want it to send midi note
data
> > instead. There must be a linux program that can do that?
>
> Why would you expect there to be an app that can do this? It's a very
> strange thing to want to do.
>
> How do you expect control data to be mapped to note on/note off?
>
> You can of course write your own program to do this.
>
> Lee
>

> njcross@email-addr-hidden schrieb:
>

> > Yes, I need to transform pitchbend or sustain etc (I can choose)
continuous
> > controller data into midi note data.
> > The program I've got spews out ctrl data and I want it to send midi note
data
> > instead. There must be a linux program that can do that?
> > n.
> >

> I know that such programs exist for other OSīs, even as Freeware, but i
> donīt know about such a beast for linux. I always wanted to write one,
> but the ALSA documentation kept me from doing so.
>
> Klaus

There's a wonderful little midi program called raton for linux and the
interface is very intuitive, it's like conducting your composition into
creation, er, or would be if it would send out note data and (for me)
quarter note flat and sharp notes, besides the midi control data.
I kinda (badly) set up something close to this in Max/msp many years ago
and it helped me get over myself, musically of course!
Brian Eno used to bang on about intuitive interfaces to aid compostion etc as
well.