Re: [linux-audio-user] AMD64 question

From: <james@email-addr-hidden-dot-dat.net>
Date: Tue Jun 27 2006 - 16:27:29 EEST

On Tue, 27 Jun, 2006 at 06:17AM -0700, Mark Knecht spake thus:
> Hi Dave
>
> On 6/27/06, Dave Phillips <dlphillips@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
> >Greetings:
> >
> > Not long ago I mentioned that a student had traded an MSI mobo (socket
> >939) for some lessons. I'm ready to start building a system around that
> >board, and I have some questions for this list:
> >
> > 1) I can get a new AMD64 Athlon 3800 2.4 GHz for (US) $145. Is the
> >Athlon 64 a good chip for audio work, and is that a good price ? It's
> >the best listed on Pricewatch.
>
> Yes. Im using an AMD64 Athlon 3000+. Works fine. You might want to
> check in with Lee Revel or someone technically in tune with the kernel
> developers about dual core chips. Mine is single core. There are still
> (I think...) soome dual core issues but they are fewer now then
> before.
>

> > 2) Recommended case/power supply ?
>
> Coolermaster case
>
> I think I'm using an Antec 450W supply. It's pretty quiet. Look into
> the Zalman power supplies if you can afford it.
>

> > 3) The MSI box says it includes an nVidia nForce3 chipset, which I
> >assume means that there's an audio/video chipset on the mobo. I'll
> >probably disable the audio, and I have a gForce AGP video card to put in
> >the machine. Question: Am I better off using the integrated video or
> >should I use my card instead ? (Btw, I use the kernel nv driver, not
> >nVidia's binary driver).
>
> Whatever you choose try for no fans...
>

> > 4) I assume I'll have to buy new RAM. What should I buy ?
>
> Crucial.com
>

> > 5) The CPU includes a fan, but should I get something more powerful ?
>
> More quiet - Zalman definiately.
>

> > 6) How can I best reduce the noise from this system ?
>
> Zalman fan, Zalman or other quiet power supplies, no fans on the
> motherboard or video card, good disk drive.
>

> > 7) Am I correct to assume that this system runs in a 32-bit more as
> >well as the 64-bit ? How do I determine which mode I'll run in ?
>
> No - it will run either 32-bit or 64-bit. However Linux has 32-bit
> emulation libraries to allow 32-bit binaries to run an a 64-bit
> system. I run 64-bit but I think if I was to do it again I'd just go
> 32-bit. 64-bit systems have trouble with many 32-bit Windows media
> types as win32codec built for 64-bit isn't completely compatible (or
> just doesn't work) yet. Some of Java isn't as well supported on 64-bit
> yet. Flash s OK. No clue whether any of that matters to you but it
> does to me.

I have absolutely no problems with 64bitness. I wouldn't go back and
if someone made a 65 bit processor, I'd happily give it a go.

That last bit was a joke, BTW.

> >This system will replace my ancient desktop machine, so also I need to
> >know if there are any precautions or warnings re: running Linux audio
> >software on it. The distro of choice will be Debian Etch a la Demudi 1.3.0.
>
> Gentoo for me. Cannot comment on distros much.

Why not? Where's all the dogmatic, fiery, evangelistic rightiousness
that is the right of all Gentoo users?