Re: [linux-audio-user] AMD64 question

From: Dave Phillips <dlphillips@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Jun 27 2006 - 16:44:43 EEST

Mark Knecht wrote:

>> 7) Am I correct to assume that this system runs in a 32-bit more as
>> well as the 64-bit ? How do I determine which mode I'll run in ?
>

> No - it will run either 32-bit or 64-bit. However Linux has 32-bit
> emulation libraries to allow 32-bit binaries to run an a 64-bit
> system. I run 64-bit but I think if I was to do it again I'd just go
> 32-bit. 64-bit systems have trouble with many 32-bit Windows media
> types as win32codec built for 64-bit isn't completely compatible (or
> just doesn't work) yet. Some of Java isn't as well supported on 64-bit
> yet. Flash s OK. No clue whether any of that matters to you but it
> does to me.

Thanks for those notes, Mark. The Java and Flash stuff does matter to
me. Any comment on WINE and VST support ? Am I best advised then to
simply run in 32-bit mode most of the time ?

Btw, if I had to explain it to a very normal user, what benefits should
she expect from running a 64-bit system ? WRT Linux audio software, what
applications receive the greatest performance boosts ?

> We need to put the universe's karma bit more in balance.

:)

Back to the balance...

Best,

dp