Re: [linux-audio-user] AMD64 question

From: Paul Davis <paul@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Jun 27 2006 - 16:38:34 EEST

On Tue, 2006-06-27 at 09:44 -0400, Dave Phillips wrote:
> Thanks for those notes, Mark. The Java and Flash stuff does matter to
> me. Any comment on WINE and VST support ? Am I best advised then to
> simply run in 32-bit mode most of the time ?

wine works on x86_64, but you can't load 32 bit plugins of any type into
a 64 bit host application (unless the plugin API doesn't use pointers
for anything and has all other type widths defined independently of the
CPU type).

so basically, yes, 32 bit all the way if you want to use
firefox/audio/other plugins.

> Btw, if I had to explain it to a very normal user, what benefits should
> she expect from running a 64-bit system ? WRT Linux audio software, what
> applications receive the greatest performance boosts ?

most 64 bit systems these days have better system busses and processors
that are better at the kind of floating point work most audio apps
require. thats really about it.