Re: [linux-audio-user] some ALSA questions

From: nigel henry <cave.dnb@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Jul 04 2006 - 16:54:24 EEST

On Tuesday 04 July 2006 15:05, Dave Phillips wrote:
> Greetings:
>
> I'm preparing a final draft of an article re: ALSA and I started
> wondering about whatever happened to modules.conf. In my old RH9 (2.4
> kernel) I was able to freely manipulate the ALSA modules (designate for
> changed a lot in 2.6.x, and /etc/modules.conf is apparently not to be
> edited in Ye Olden Way. Is there a similar single file in the 2.6 file
> system ? If so, where is it ? On my Debian Etch system I have this file :
>
> /etc/modprobe.d/sound
>
> It looks like the file to change a la the old-time modules.conf, but my
> entries have no effect. Is there another file located elsewhere that I
> should be editing ? Here's my /etc/modprobe.d/sound :
>
> alias snd-card-0 snd-ice1712
> options snd-ice1712 index=0
> alias snd-card-1 snd-emu10k1
> options snd-emu10k1 index=1
> alias snd-card-2 snd-virmidi
> options snd-virmidi index=2

Hi Dave. On FC1 using the 2.4 kernel the file was /etc/modudes.conf, and if
for example you have a usb midi keyboard, you have to create an alias for
snd-usb-audio, and create 2 options lines, so as to load the sound card
first, and snd-usb-audio second. This is due to the USB starting early in the
boot process, and Alsa wrongly seeing the usb midi keyboard using
snd-usb-audio as a soundcard, and loading it as card 0 if you don't set the
options.

FC2 and later using the 2.6 kernel use /etc/modprobe.conf, and for FC2 the as
above applies regarding setting options lines if you are using a usb midi
keyboard.

FC3, 4, and 5 have fixed the problem regarding the usb midi keyboard, when I
booted these post install the sound card worked, and the usb midi keyboard
was also ok. I'm in FC2 at the moment, but I'm pretty sure that snd-usb-audio
doesn't even show up in /etc/modprobe.conf, just the sound card (Ihave only
the 1).

In Debian Sarge, and Etch, I've always added snd-usb-audio, and the 2 options
lines to /etc/modutils/sound , which updates, (and I think I've got the
filename right) /etc/modprobe.conf, which specifically tells you not to make
changes in it, as anything in /etc/modutils will
overwrite /etc/modprobe.conf. I've also seen folks saying to
use /etc/modprobe.d/sound, which obviously works. Perhaps it doesn't matter,
and you can use either method.

Sorry I can't help with the other ???'s, but the multipurpose Alsa control
panel sounds a nice idea.

Nigel.