Re: [linux-audio-user] AMD64 question: update

From: Paul Winkler <pw_lists@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Jul 06 2006 - 16:20:34 EEST

On Thu, Jul 06, 2006 at 01:43:40PM +0200, Pieter Palmers wrote:
> Modern harddisks use a lot of write caching on the controller to achieve
> decent performance. So when power goes down when there is data in the
> write cache, it is lost. The file system however 'thinks' that data has
> been written correctly. This hence results in file system corruption.

FS corruption is no fun (I once spent two days recovering data
after bad RAM corrupted an ext2 fs... I ended up with every file I had
in lost+found). But the particular failure I mentioned was drive
hardware, no doubt about it. Lots of low-level IDE errors in
/var/log/messages. Couldn't fsck it, couldn't get any raw
data out of it with "dd if=/dev/hdb", nothing.
I didn't have any warning, either... no funny noises, no
problems or errors the last time I mounted it. *shrug*

+1 on the UPS idea, I've had one for years.

-PW

--
Paul Winkler
http://www.slinkp.com