Re: [linux-audio-user] solaris 9 and audio recomendations

From: Martin Habets <errandir_news@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Jul 06 2006 - 14:53:58 EEST

If your hardware has an onboard soundchip, it is supported by
Solaris. If you are willing to use that (maybe you even have
a line out/in on you machine) you could get some good results
with Solaris. Try running audioctl and check if you have
/dev/audio and /dev/audioctl.

If your hardware does not have anboard audio, it's not good
enough, or you want to use another card, you should use Linux.

If you do decide to stay with Solaris, you pretty much have to
setup a OSS build environment (gcc, libraries) in order to build
your free sampler of choice. Not as difficult as it sounds, with
the help of pkg-get.