Re: [linux-audio-user] [ANN] ALSA MIDI Humanizer v0.0.1

From: Kjetil S. Matheussen <kjetil@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Jul 07 2006 - 21:58:37 EEST

Dave Phillips:
> IMO the best way to humanize MIDI parts is to hand-code their
>velocities, note by note where necessary, which means the coder must
>have a practical knowledge of performance factors. I also routinely add
>a tempo track that loops an asymmetric group of fluctuating tempo
>values, like a very narrow-range LFO applied to tempo. Again, if the
>width of the range is too great the looseness becomes sloppy, destroying
>the intended effect. Usually I keep a range of +/-4 clicks, e.g.
>120-121-122-121-120-119. If these values are applied to tempo events at
>the level of 16th-note triplets they'll have a nice "upsetting" effect
>on the rigidity of the sequencer's tempo.

Increasing and decreasing tempo is especially convenient in Radium, where
there is an editable tempo-graph available all the time made
for making music more "human".
http://www.notam02.no/radium/
Also, adding a bit of accelerando or ritardando at the end of each
bar, or right before a new theme starts sometime helps as well.