Re: [linux-audio-user] [ANN] Aqualung 0.9beta5 released

From: Lee Revell <rlrevell@email-addr-hidden-job.com>
Date: Sat Jul 08 2006 - 21:32:23 EEST

On Sat, 2006-07-08 at 20:26 +0200, Tom Szilagyi wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 08, 2006 at 06:29:03PM +0200, Frank Barknecht wrote:
> > Hallo,
> > Tom Szilagyi hat gesagt: // Tom Szilagyi wrote:
> >
> > > Aqualung: Music Player for GNU/Linux
> > >
> > > http://aqualung.sf.net
> > >
> > > Release 0.9beta5
> > >

> > > It is our greatest pleasure to announce the fifth official beta
> > > release of Aqualung. Some features you'd rarely stumble upon in
> > > other players (at least not too many of them at once):
> > >
> > > * Gapless playback (designed for this from the ground up)
> >
> > Quick question: Can I choose to play *with* gaps as well? I like gaps,
> > I'm used to them from my vinyl collection.
>
> Well, no. There's no existing option to put gaps between tracks,
> though it would be relatively easy to implement.

Is this really the job of the player? It seems that if you rip from a
CD with gaps the MP3s should contain leading or trailing silence.
Otherwise how can the player be expected to know that one batch of
tracks is a live performance and should be played back gapless, and
another is from a CD and should have 2 second gaps?

Lee