Re: [linux-audio-user] Re: Wiki

From: Rob <lau@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Jul 08 2006 - 21:34:15 EEST

On Sat July 8 2006 13:00, Juhana Sadeharju wrote:
> 20 MB vs 13.5 GB makes me think the wiki is not of the best
> technology. The download software could be better as well. I
> will mail my suggestions to wget list.

TWiki has a "publish" plugin (I think I've mentioned it before)
that dumps a static, rendered version of all its pages with
links rewritten in a way that makes sense, and optionally zips
it (or maybe I added the zipping part to my local copy, I can't
remember.)

Unfortunately, TWiki has also been swiss cheese security wise in
my experience, but with mediawiki's prominence I would think
that someone must have written something like a "publish" plugin
by now to do the same thing.

I don't think the problem with mirroring wikis can really be
fixed with a patch to wget.... it's the nature of dynamically
generated content that a tool designed to retrieve static
content will retrieve way more data than it needs to. The same
would apply if you were trying to mirror a web forum or a more
traditional CMS.

Rob