Re: Re: [linux-audio-user] [ANN] Aqualung 0.9beta5 released

From: Cesare Marilungo <cesare@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Jul 09 2006 - 00:42:04 EEST

Mark Knecht wrote:

> Re: [linux-audio-user] [ANN] Aqualung 0.9beta5 released
> From:
> "Mark Knecht" <markknecht@email-addr-hidden>
> Date:
> Sat, 8 Jul 2006 11:39:56 -0700
> To:
> "A list for linux audio users" <linux-audio-user@email-addr-hidden>
>
> To:
> "A list for linux audio users" <linux-audio-user@email-addr-hidden>
>

> On 7/8/06, Lee Revell <rlrevell@email-addr-hidden-job.com> wrote:

>> gaps,
>> >
>> > Well, no. There's no existing option to put gaps between tracks,
>> > though it would be relatively easy to implement.
>>
>> Is this really the job of the player? It seems that if you rip from a
>> CD with gaps the MP3s should contain leading or trailing silence.
>> Otherwise how can the player be expected to know that one batch of
>> tracks is a live performance and should be played back gapless, and
>> another is from a CD and should have 2 second gaps?
>>
>> Lee
>

> I agree Lee.
>
> In fact there is an old Quicksilver Album (Happy Trials I think) where
> the vinyl had no gaps in a 25 minute song. When a CD for it came out
> it played on my hardware CD player as one long song. If I played this
> on any Linux player other than Aqualung it put gaps in. This was not
> good. Aqualung was the only player I found that played the music
> correctly, as the original.
>
> I like the way Aqualung does this today.
>
> - Mark

But shouldn't the mp3 be encoded in a particular way to make gapless
playback work?

AFAIK, the mp3 format has a fixed frame size, the last frame is always
only partially filled and so any mp3 track contains some silence at the end.

And how does Aqualung know if two tracks were meant to be played without
any gap?

In theory, the cleanest solution could be to use a CD ripper that writes
some sort of playlist file that the player can read to know which tracks
should be played without gaps and which is the duration of the gap when
it is meant to be there (gaps between tracks on a cd can be != 2secs).

c.

--
www.cesaremarilungo.com