Re: Re: [linux-audio-user] [ANN] ALSA MIDI Humanizer v0.0.1

From: Cesare Marilungo <cesare@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Jul 09 2006 - 00:42:43 EEST

Lee Revell wrote:

>On Sat, 2006-07-08 at 11:37 -0700, Florin Andrei wrote:
>

>>On Fri, 2006-07-07 at 19:57 +0200, Frank Barknecht wrote:
>>

>>>As Dave P. wrote, if a real *groove* is wanted, editing a lot of stuff
>>>like timings and velocities by hand and ear is the usual way to work.
>>>Obviously one takes this hard and time consuming road, because just
>>>adding gaussian or other randomization is not achieving satisfying
>>>results for the goal at hand.
>>>

>>A potentially good but certainly expensive method would be to record
>>many expert human players and analyze their playing. Some kind of
>>patterns must emerge.
>>Then try and reproduce that in software.
>>

>How does Hydrogen's humanize feature work? It certainly sounds good.
>Maybe that could be broken out into a standalone app?
>
>Lee

Lee, I've just checked the code.

It uses a random offsets with gaussian distribution (just like my
humanizer0.0.2). There's more: the algorithm used is the same I used for
my project (found here: http://www.taygeta.com/random/gaussian.html).

But hydrogen source uses rand() as a random generator, when I've heard
that random() is much better (more uniform distribution) and in fact I
also changed rand() to random() from v0.0.1 to 0.0.2.

c.

--
www.cesaremarilungo.com