[linux-audio-user] AMD Turion 64 X2 ?

From: oz <oz@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Jul 09 2006 - 17:43:45 EEST

Hi @ all,

I have sympathy for a new notebook with AMD Turion 64 X2 dual-core
cpu. It would open some new possibilities, like virtualization
(pacifica, xen etc.), pure AMD64 Debian arch, other 32-bit OS' and -
and that is the question - good realtime-audio performance?

Do the realtime patches of Ingo Molnar work with SMP-Kernels for
example? And the LSM-modules?

Or is the realtime-preemption in Linux just optimized for single cpu
systems?

My main interest would be to use the laptop sometimes as
"Linux-sound-module" triggered by an external midi-keyboard. Profit
virtual-instruments (virtual-synths, VSTis) much from having two CPUs
and therefore enhanced multithreading? Or is it contra-productive
eventually?

If using a SMP-Kernel would produce hassles - would it be a safe
workaround to compile a kernel *without* SMP support and then driving
one Turion core would be sufficient?

Please forgive these many questions, but I just won't trust the
marketing blindly for the benefits of dual-cores without asking some
experienced users.

Thanks for your time
Oliver

P.S. What about the laptop-fan? Can I expect, that it starts and stops
frequently when the Turion computes "sound"? (that would be annoying)