Re: [linux-audio-user] AMD Turion 64 X2 ?

From: Michael Pacey <michael@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Jul 10 2006 - 19:04:20 EEST

oz said:

> Do the realtime patches of Ingo Molnar work with SMP-Kernels for
> example? And the LSM-modules?

Pretty sure Ubuntu ships an AMD64 kernel with PREEMPT and SMP enabled. I
have personally used the realtime-lsm module on an Debian as-shipped SMP
kernel, though not running on an SMP machine. Most (all?) of Debian's
(x86) kernels (and presumably Ubuntu's) ship with SMP enabled by default,
because it still works on uniprocesser machines without overhead. I talk
about Ubuntu and Debian because that's what I use.

If you can wait a week or two, I am getting a dual Opteron X2 (4 core
64-bit) machine this week and my intention is to do audio work on it. I
can tell you how it goes. I hope it goes well, I've spent a lot of money!

It's not a laptop. That will bring other complications, I'm sure - take
note of Frank Barknecht's comments on drivers. I have a laptop with Intel
Centrino chipset and it works well, though it is not fast enough for my
audio work (softsynths and rosegarden, moving sequences about, quickly, in
realtime). The graphics card is not Intel, it's ATI, and I'm having to use
their proprietary driver to get what I want out of it. The graphics in the
Opteron box will be nVidia though, so there's no escape as yet...

--
Michael Pacey