Re: [linux-audio-user] [ANN] Aqualung 0.9beta5 released

From: tim hall <tech@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Jul 12 2006 - 12:04:21 EEST

On Saturday 08 July 2006 19:32, Lee Revell was like:
> > > Quick question: Can I choose to play *with* gaps as well? I like gaps,
> > > I'm used to them from my vinyl collection.
> >
> > Well, no. There's no existing option to put gaps between tracks,
> > though it would be relatively easy to implement.
>
> Is this really the job of the player?  It seems that if you rip from a
> CD with gaps the MP3s should contain leading or trailing silence.
> Otherwise how can the player be expected to know that one batch of
> tracks is a live performance and should be played back gapless, and
> another is from a CD and should have 2 second gaps?

The player doesn't need to be able to work out the original intention of the
tracks. The request here is for the user to be able to choose gaps. So long
as implementing gaps doesn't break gapless playback, I don't honestly see the
problem. Running a helper application purely to add gaps or having to edit
the ripped files seems daft to me.

--
cheers,
tim hall